Romania: End of price...

Electricity bills for July and part of August 2025 in Romania are significantly...

Bosnia and Herzegovina sees...

According to the Agency for Statistics of Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), gross electricity...

Albania: Electricity production falls...

According to data from the Albanian Institute of Statistics (INSTAT), electricity production in...

Romania: Energy Vault partners...

Swiss energy storage company Energy Vault has signed an agreement to provide up...
Supported byClarion Energy
HomeUncategorizedSerbia: Extension of...

Serbia: Extension of Zijin’s Mining waste management permit denied

Ministry rejected the Chinese company’s request in November last year, but only released it in April in response to an FOI request – stoking fears that it has been operating without guidelines or a permit for over a year and a half.

Serbian Ministry of Mining and Energy rejected a request from China’s Serbia Zijin Mining company for an extension to its permit to manage mining waste. The company’s license for managing mining waste expired on December 31, 2022.

The ministry rejected the request in November 2023 but it wasn’t made public until the ministry answered an FOI request of a regional think tank focussed on environmental protection, energy and urban development, Renewables and Environmental Regulatory Institute, RERI, and submitted the decision in April.

The ministry did not respond to two previous inquiries from BIRN requesting the decision and asking whether Zijin still has a valid permit to manage mining waste.

Zijin did not answer BIRN’s request for a comment on the decision. On March 29 it told BIRN that it was “in the process” of updating its permit and had meantime updated its waste management plan in 2022 and 2023, and was acting according to that plan.

The ministry rejected the company’s request because Zijin had not filed all required documents and data, as can be seen in the decision which RERI published. It writes, for example, that Zijin planned to open five new landfills but didn’t give enough information on the category of waste which would be placed there.

Zijin received a licence to manage mining waste from Serbia’s mining and energy ministry in October 2021, which expired in December 2022 and has not been renewed. Zijin filed a request to extend the permit on December 20 2022.

RERI filed a misdemeanour report with the public prosecution in Bor against Zijin for operating without a valid waste management permit. This was rejected in November 2023 because Zijin had already sought an extension to the permit and because prosecutors assessed that there were no harmful consequences from the disposal of mining waste.

Ljubica Vukcevic, lawyer of RERI, said it was very worrying if the company was still disposing of mining waste without a permit.

“This economic offence is very serious if we now conclude that the company has been disposing of mining waste for a year and a half without a permit… institutions simply let them dispose of the waste as they dispose, without any guidelines, without a permit, and that for a year and a half a disaster is occurring environment.”

Vukcevic added that RERI will analyze the consequences of dumping waste without a permit. “Once we have analyzed what the consequences are, we will consider filing new applications for a more difficult qualification against the company,” she said.

Zijin earlier told BIRN that its landfills were built using “the best and world-recognised technological solutions” to prevent potentially harmful substances from seeping into the soil.

“Only 10 per cent of tailings are disposed of at the tailings dump, which is covered with water, which prevents harmful substances spreading through the air but also from forming acidic leachate,” it said.

The Serbia Zijin Copper company, operator of Serbia’s sole copper complex, plans to expand its mining operations despite concerns over their impact on the environment and the health of residents in the eastern town of Bor, as BIRN reported.

Supported byOwner's Engineer banner

Recent News

Supported byspot_img
Supported byspot_img

Latest News

Supported byspot_img
Supported bySEE Energy News

Related News

Serbia: US extends sanctions deadline for NIS until late September

The US Department of the Treasury has once again delayed the enforcement of sanctions on Serbian oil company NIS, marking the sixth extension of the deadline. According to the Serbian Government, the new date for the possible implementation is...

Serbia: Energy regulator approves higher network access fees and updates household billing rules

At the request of transmission and distribution system operators EMS and EDS, the Council of the Energy Agency (AERS) has approved updated access fees for the transmission and distribution networks, which will take effect on 1 October. The transmission...

Serbia: Kostolac wind farm to begin trial operations by year-end, adding 66 MW of renewable capacity

State Secretary at the Ministry of Mining and Energy, Sonja Vlahovic, announced that the Kostolac wind farm is on schedule to begin trial operations by the end of the year. All 20 turbines at EPS’ first wind project have...
Supported byVirtu Energy
error: Content is protected !!